tiistai 21. tammikuuta 2020

ATV electric conversion part 4: Starting assembly


Continuing from previous part 1, part 2 and part 3.

After some consideration I ended up building simple L-shaped frame from rectangular pipe for the motor and welding it directly to the swing arm. In addition of being easier to build and weld, it also has the benefit of moving with the swing so chain stays about the same length all the time.

I'm not exactly proud of the welds itself (complete beginner), but  I am confident enough that they hold. Here is the swing arm shown from top.

And from bottom after few layers of paint and motor attached. One corner of motor point is not connected but I expect it to be just fine.

Chain was slightly long so I had to shorten it a bit. It didn't have master link so I had to take two pins out (with bench vice, few small nails and hammer) and pinning it back together. The rear part of swing arm is adjustable so tightening chain was easy enough; just loosen few bolts, adjust, then tighten again.


Moving on to final assembly. Here I just quickly replaced swing arm to check on how other parts could be positioned, without spring/dampener so it's not riding correctly yet.


I have absolutely no idea on how waterproof the electrics exactly aren't, but considering that they are built for this kind of use (scooter, ATV, bike etc) I'd expect them to have at least some resistance to waters. Either way, I am planning on adding some kind of plastic sheet there to at least guard them against smaller splashes they will encounter.

I wouldn't want to place controller in enclosed area due to thermal reasons (air cooling), so I was considering just hanging it (silvery box in picture) approximately there from engine mount from old gasoline engine. Here it's just hanging by a wire to illustrate the idea, I was planning on mounting it horizontally.
Battery might as well be at bottom there (or maybe a bit higher, under the bench) with simple mount to allow easy removal for periods when vehicle isn't used.

More about exact placement in next part.






Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti