tiistai 15. lokakuuta 2019

ATV electric conversion part 2: The parts


Previous part here .

I avoid mentioning any brand names here, for no special reason, I just don't want to. It is not hard to find similar (or exactly the same) parts for yourself.

Looking for components was kinda annoying. I started from US-centric site and found many great looking alternatives, but almost without exception they were not shipping to Europe. Fortunately Ich kann wenig Deutch sprechen so I could go to German site and for parts there. The selection appears to be much smaller for some reason, so some compromises needed to be made.

It took a few tries (first on US side, then German) to refine my searches to suitable keywords so started getting what I wanted. For motor and controller I searched for "24v motor kit" in few variations, eventually ending up with 350W set that included controller, throttle, motor, chain and few other parts (for total of about 100€).

Next was battery. While a lead-acid battery (or two) could be obtained for less, this kind of use requires deep discharge batteries that tend to be more expensive, so I went for lithium-ion battery.
I quickly found suitable-looking 24v 20Ah unit (for about 200€), so no problem there.

A quick mention of prices: At no point I expected this to be, shall we say, frugal project, as already built electric ATVs can be found on market for less. For me, this is learning project first and foremost, and getting dead ATV running (instead of calling it a total loss) for enjoyment of kids will be nice incentive to get this done.

Before going any further I of course wanted to test that things work properly. Battery had wrong kind of connectors (as I pretty much expected), but changing it was very simple operation as motor kit came with correct connector blank. Just be very very careful not to short those battery wires during this operation...


Connect everything (well, main parts), turn key and it came alive. Twist of throttle starts motor, and although everything works nicely, I also immediately see that my previous fears of a serious build problem are confirmed and I have to figure out solution to that before build can proceed much further.
 
Next up, taking apart the ATV itself.



Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti