sunnuntai 15. joulukuuta 2019

ATV electric conversion part 3: fitting in


Previous part here .

Last time I mentioned apparent problem, and here it is. The picture shows how I originally planned installing the motor, but note the small arrow indicating rotation direction.


Yeah, that is not going to work. Installed like this the ATV will run in reverse, which is pretty far from my intention. After some reading, it's apparent that this motor type doesn't like running in reverse, as it could just burn out or shorten its lifetime a lot, so that simple solution is out of the question. Not to mention the motor's sprocket attachment nut; it might rotate open and drop off if motor were ran in reverse. So not good.

I considered rotating motor around and adding transfer axle between it and rear sprocket. That is, there is one chain going from motor to this transfer axle, which then and pulls another chain that is in line/connected to rear sprocket. I quickly gave up with that idea though; too much complexity. And finding suitable axles and sprockets ended up being near impossible, as they come with different center holes (star-like attachment; D-shaped hole, double-D/oval shaped and so on. No suitable combination was readily available. I don't consider my machinist skills to be good enough to make adjustments to parts so they should be ready as ordered.


This doesn't show angle very well but you can see the rear axle and chain sprocket behind the motor. Square tube is there to mark straight chain path. This is my alternate plan at the moment. This is under rear mud guard so motor fits there nicely, but so far I haven't figured out how to build new attachment for the motor. Or, more precisely, I have a rough idea how it should be built, but no idea how I make the placement match when attaching everything together in the end.

There's also few other attachment position ideas I have, I need to think about them as well.



Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti