perjantai 27. marraskuuta 2015

Security question that wasn't to be


Sometimes user registrations do mysterious things...

So I got the new tablet I mentioned earlier. Another Asus, cheap-ish ZenPad that was essentially unusable out of the box. It kept freezing and refusing to start up after sleep. Not good, Asus, absolutely not good.

After playing with it for some time I chose to do factory reset and start over, this time installing all the system updates first (for some reason it didn't bother to even offer that first time around, I only found out about these when doing some internet searches about freezing). And it helped, although I think I had to do full three system updates (granted, each smaller than one before it) before it was up to date. At least now it is working better, with no new major issues found so far.

Anyway...

Before factory reset I had noticed that this tablet included also a kids mode program built in. In previous one I had to use some third-party software which was less than perfect, but the new one seemed to be better so why not use it.

Of course, to use it I had to enter four-number PIN (as expected), then security question (which I didn't really expect), then set up the software allowed in that mode (quite expected). I consider it somewhat stupid that in kids mode the application grid is limited to about a third to a quarter of screen when in landscape mode, while most of the space is taken up some graphics and large "exit" and "configure" buttons. But that aside it seemed better than previous program I had used.

Then I did the factory reset. So all the settings were lost, except...

Now, when I tried to set up the kids mode again the PIN went fine, but apparently my answer to the security question during setup, when it is first entered to the system is wrong. Really, how can that be, as I haven't actually given answer yet. And yes, I did check the spelling many times over, used same answer as previous installation and everything. To no avail. It just won't accept my answer. And this was the setup part of the use, not shit I forgot the PIN part.

Just great... Finally I managed to find "skip" button (way down on the screen, previously covered by keyboard overlay) and managed to get things working, but this was very, very puzzling. Some leftovers from previous installation? If so, there's something seriously wrong with factory reset procedure. Who knows...

Well, fortunately I happen to consider those questions more a security risk than safety anyway, so nothing lost by not enabling it anyway. But I'm still puzzled why exactly I couldn't enter it anyway...


Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti