perjantai 27. tammikuuta 2017

Are you 'Full Stack'?


This occured to me awhile ago. Everyone seems to be fixated on full stack developers. But what does that phrase mean, exactly?

Most common approach I've seen is that you need to master server- and user-side things. Which, granted, is pretty common application these days. You've got a server (or cloud of servers) and user (often a phone), and you've got write the software for both.

'Both' here is pretty ambiguous term, but really, it isn't just that easy. There are loads of skills that you could list on both ends. Server maintenance, databases (very likely several of them, depending on clients' neds), programming languages (also several, both server and client-side), web user interface (html, css, js, libraries..), mobile user interface...

But wait, is there something missing here?

How about this IoT - Internet of Things - stuff? Where does this sit on this "full" stack?

As it seems, it doesn't.

Granted, that might be beyond most applications, but it also gives me this warm, fuzzy feeling of superiority to know that at least there I'm easily beyond what's understood as full stack. But then again, jack of all trades etc etc. I can, if needed, work on any level of said stack. The thing is, it seems that everyone wants to be on the "top" of stack while I enjoy staying close to the metal anyway.

</not-so-humblebrag>

Oh, and when I say "close to metal", I do mean it:







Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti