sunnuntai 17. heinäkuuta 2016

"No, that doesn't work"


Back in 90s or so, apparently, my dad told me of some math (physics-related) he had worked out. He told me of the inputs, what was done and what was the output.

I have absolutely no memory of this, so I have to take his word for it. I would've been in my teens or so back then.

Apparently I stared blankly at nothing for a while (I still do that, apparently that's how my wife knows that I'm about to come up with some really fascinating idea - again, her words, as I typically I'm otherwise too occupied to notice) and then told him that it wouldn't work.

Well, (as told) I was right - as described it wouldn't work as he had left out one very crucial step.

I'm no math genius, really. Give me a formula and I can quickly make it work in code. Give me a problem (on a field I'm at least somewhat experienced and familiar with) and I can work out a solution. It might take a long time (and loads of reference materials), but I'll get there. But nothing too far out from my experience, thank you - there is a limit on what I'm willing to absorb at a time.

Some time ago I was asked for a G-force measurement. They had a very practical problem - a vehicle, fully loaded with massive amounts of cargo, travelling a path. Figure out maximum loading stress with certain parameters. A fun thought experiment, really. I worked out a solution, wrote some code, tested briefly that it worked and offered a solution.

I guess my idea was too good, then went for simpler solution. Ah well. But now my toolkit has been reinforced with new, fun tools to work with in future.




Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti