lauantai 15. maaliskuuta 2014

Quick update on map project

Sorry folks, as it turns out I won't be talking about thread interaction in Qt anytime soo.

I was planning on having a background thread that handles most of the time-consuming operations - primarily of course the tile download. And what do you know, Qt actually offers such operations built-in asynchronously (in other words, the map screen won't just hang when encountering a previously unvisited tile; it just provides empty "please wait" placeholder until download is finished and real tile can be shown). And yes, background downloading is working now. That was actually almost too easy. (well, there was some minor issues, but after being exposed to QThreads, signals and slots, those were actually trivial) [I could rant about difficulties of multithreading, and how these are different when you are working on "low level" (C or C++) or "high level" (Qt over C++) systems -- drop a note if you want to read about my opinions on issue]

Well, at this point I can at least provide you some "screenshots". Well, it's full screen, and at the moment there are no floating controls. You may notice my "beautiful" (read: quickly drawn as test graphics) cursor at upper left corner.

Plans? Well, current location of course, shown as cursor. Route traveled (with distance) since start. Waypoints, or I'd use term "Points of Interest", with simple navigation ("that way towards waypoint", in cover of course). These are the things I use/could use the most personally, so naturally they have priority.

Possibly full route even (downloadable/e-mailable). And then. Well, I don't know, actually. For now I'll still be following the "scratch my own itch" route.



Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti