lauantai 27. elokuuta 2022

Unbearable cost of electricity (laptop edition)

Continuing again from here (musings) and here (desktop computer usage)

Of course I couldn't not test laptop too. This is relatively beefy one, with Ryzen 5 5600H processor and RTX 3070 laptop GPU. I used laptop's display for tests, not external monitor, so using one would add to these figures.

Spoiler: If it weren't a real pita to connect laptop to my desktop display/keyboard/mouse at home, I'd seriously consider using it more often even at home.

Idle power usage seems to vary a bit, from low 10 (!!!) to 25 watts, but seems to be averaging at 20 watts (this with display at full brightness).

Again I tried playing Control with it (which on desktop had power usage of 520 watts total), and was pleasantly surprised to see laptop to use about 160 watts while remaining perfectly playable (albeit with a bit lower settings than desktop). My desktop computer is using that much power when just idling! 

Factorio (same base I used with desktop test - that was using 190-ish watts IIRC) had laptop consuming just 40 watts.

Since I had it installed, I also tried Dyson Sphere Program, with relatively late-game base (sphere being constructed and multiple star systems producing stuff). Like Control, it also used 160 watts when running.

So, what's my conclusion? None, really. This was mostly to feed my curiosity a bit. And hope someone finds these figures useful.


1 kommentti:

  1. Nice Blog. Thanks for sharing with us. Keep Sharing!!

    Do you want to Buy Capacitive Touch Monitors - Plastic Series Online?

    Buy Capacitive Touch Monitors - Plastic Series Online

    VastaaPoista