sunnuntai 14. elokuuta 2022

Unbearable cost of electricity

European energy prices are absolutely insane right now, not least because way too large number of people have been way too willing to rely on russian energy, ignoring non-monetary costs involved.

Month ago I had nice fixed-price deal where I paid something like 4c/kWh for energy, plus around 5c/kWh for grid/energy transfer costs. That deal expired and not I'm on spot (market) pricing, which today varies from 40 to 60 c/kWh (plus same 5c/kWh for grid). 

Not greatest time for EV. Funnily enough, most fast chargers still charge 20 or 25 cents/kWh, so it is actually often cheaper for me to use fast charger than my home charger. Insane. Yet home charging would still be cheaper than driving with gasoline, just by much smaller margin now.

I do have solar panels on roof, but those give their best output afternoon, between 13 and 17. Thus I try to schedule dishwashed and washing machine to that time, and always hang-dry clothes instead of using dryer as it is massive energy hog.

Some other things are more difficult to avoid. Computers for example. Many games, especially AAA ones, push both CPU and GPU to maximum, which of course uses more energy. It's kinda weird to turn down graphics settings to save electricity, yet here we are. 

I doesn't seem like things will get easier any time soon either. And really, I shouldn't be complaining about price of damn electricity when others are literally fighting for their homes at the same time, so I just stop here and salute those who are sacrificing the most.

Slava Ukraini!



Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti