torstai 29. syyskuuta 2016

Let's update some computers


Damn the windows update is a pain these days.

Some days ago I started update on a bit older windows 7 laptop that isn't used much these days. I started that around 9 AM, and according to notification the update scan finished around 10 PM. 13 friggin' hours just to check for updates! And that was just for three missed months of updates. Can't but wonder how many weeks a fresh install would take...

Well, at least that I wasn't using that laptop for anything during that time. Unlike a new windows 10 laptop I was using recently which suddenly started doing anniversary update install. In middle of game I just left there for a moment when I was doing something else. Fuck you very much, Microsoft. That is completely unacceptable default behavior.

Not only did it take ages to install that update, but of course it screwed up several settings I had to spend time to fix, but afterwards some idiot has chosen to force numerous unnecessary and unskippable "look what we just did, nyah nyah!" screens on the user. Talk about annoying crap.

Oh, and same happened to our office laptop too. In middle of work day, without any warning when we had work to do. In addition of usual fuck-ups update did, it also re-activated the PCMCIA slot of the laptop. Which was very deliberately disabled as it has some kind of conflict with network devices (both ethernet and WLAN). Didn't take long to fix but I would have had better things to do with my time. Did I remember say "fuck you Microsoft" already?

Day after day Linux systems start to look more and more inviting. At least "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" doesn't take but a minute or so - and that's assuming that system isn't equipped with aptitude or such that does that for you with a single click.

Now, if only I figured out how to make applications that run also on windows (for my clients, I don't really expect them to switch to Linux anytime soon) from the linux computer...



Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti