perjantai 17. kesäkuuta 2016

When google doesn't help


Have you ever had a problem where google couldn't help you?

This question of course implies that in general your google seaches are helpful and provide the answers you seek for, i.e. your google-fu is at least somewhat strong.

I use internet searches very often when working, mostly to look up some details that haven't been burned into my mind (yet) - like checking out usage of some API call, or looking for a function or feature I'm not familiar with, or details on some obscure chip register in case data sheet isn't exactly clear. However it seems that with increasing frequency I fail to find results to what I'm looking for, even after extensive search query rephrasing.

Part of the reason might be that I simply work with stuff that isn't that common. I like working at a very low level, with nothing but a C compiler (and standard libraries) between me and the embedded chip. Libraries provided by chip manufacturers just seem to be nothing but horribly bloated mess. Or sometimes I want to do something that isn't really supported with a chip or libraries.

If your search has ever resulted just five links, four of which are nothing but links to some (completely useless) source (or even header) and one is otherwise useless (tangential at best) you know what I am talking about.

It can be frustrating to find a fragment of information at one place and other fragment elsewhere, with large part still missing - but damn isn't it satisfying when you eventually solve the puzzle and things actually start working! That feeling, it is one of the reasons why I love working with the less common topics and methods.




Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti