sunnuntai 21. huhtikuuta 2019

Certificate of Authentic Windows


Some time, around mid '00s I was assigned to handle licensing of Windows operating system for embedded devices manufactured by a company, as the person who previously handled this had left the company. The paperwork wasn't too bad (which was kinda surprising) and licensing conditions weren't too bad to read either - maybe around 10-16 pages (I don't remember exactly), and not written in too bad legalese. In other words, much easier read than common EULAs (End User License Agreement) even then - and I'd guess EULAs have gotten worse over time.

Obviously I read it through like the proverbial devil reads equally proverbial bible. There were few things that needed a bit more attention and clarifications but in general it was all well. All conditions were met so we could just install the OS, attach Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) to device and it's done. It was also very explicitly said in that agreement that 'CoA' means the license number sticker. Essentially same small holographic sticker with 25-character license code just about every windows computer has.
  
CoA is supposed to be the final authority on whether computer has valid windows license or not. As a home user one might not care too much, but I've heard stories where BSA (Business Software Alliance, who are essentially hired goons of major software publishers. Legal goons, although I am tempted to say that they are just barely on that side of the line.) has refused to accept these stickers as proof that business' Windows installation is legal - that is, Authentic. Despite Microsoft's own licensing terms saying exactly opposite here.

Granted, I have only dealt with embedded licensing, and only relatively briefly, so things might have changed before I took that job and likely also after I left. License types might be different too. But situation where license provided says that CoA is just that - Certificate of Authenticity - and hired goons can just say that it's not - well, I can't but feel a bit uncomfortable here. Although my neck is at the moment quite safely out from that noose.



Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti