sunnuntai 24. helmikuuta 2019

Nerf scope


Some time ago kid was given a large Nerf-type rifle. It was not an actual nerf, I think, but a clone or facsimile of one. No matter, ammo is compatible both ways and he is happy with it so I don't really care.

This gun had kind of "red dot" scope (cross actually when viewed through the scope), claiming infrared sensing. Which I dismissed as obviously fake, of course. But it did seem to do something, nevertheless, changing color of the cross based on some parameters I couldn't really figure out with brief check.

And then it ceased to function. If you have read previous posts, you know what this means: open it and see what's inside!


It was closed with just some screws, so it opened up nicely. And the problem is already obvious here; plus wire (red one) had come loose from battery pack (4 AAs). Easy fix.

But otherwise the thing was way more complex than I anticipated. Here the thing is upside down, but starting from top of the image, the things are: Battery pack, gun attachment (spring-loaded "click"), view finder (with one tilted "glass" where cross is projected, and then, from left; controls (on/off toggle, mode; PCB itself, and some vaguely lens-looking thingamajic, although it is kinda opaque to visible light).


Closer look to PCB which actually has surprising amount of stuff for a cheap toy. I didn't take the optics on other side off, but whatever's in there seems to be connected with four pins, in center, so I don't think it's a real camera - or at least high-resolution one. Below the contacts of yellow wires seems to be some voltage regulation (I think), and on left main MCU.

On top it the LED and its optics for projecting the cross to viewfinder.

Piece on right is control part; on/off toggle (switch with wires) and two buttons through front panel to PCB.

Unfortunately I was in a lots of hurry back then and didn't bother finding out more about this thing, and just fixed it and put it back together. I didn't even see what type of chip the controller/MCU is! I didn't really expect this kind of complexity, really.

Maybe next time I'll check further.





Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti