keskiviikko 9. toukokuuta 2018

PHEV


I previously mentioned considering buying a hybrid car, although main topic was a bit broader. The main point still stands - namely, the absolute requirement (of entire mankind) to cut carbon emissions. There just is no way around it, no matter the (monetary) cost.

I also mentioned considering getting a PHEV - that is, Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle - in essence meaning a car with both fossil fuel engine (usually gasoline) and electric motors along with batteries. At the time my choice was Kia Optima. Since then I've changed my opinion.

Eventually I went and replaced my Skoda Octavia (1.6 TDI - that is, diesel, with approx 5l/100km - 47-ish mpg-us) with Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. The price of Outlander and abovementioned Optima was almost same - but in the end mostly electric drive train with four-wheel drive won me over.

As all hybrids, this is "automatic", although in this case there actually is no gearbox anywhere. Up to around 120km/h the car is fully electric - rear and front axles have both 60kW separate electric motors. When going faster than that, the combustion engine is directly coupled to front wheels. So no gearbox. A real series hybrid, at least most of the time with my driving.

So far the consumption isn't looking too bad either. So far I've driven 2100km, with approximate average consumption of around 5l/100km. While this doesn't sound that great, I have to note that about 75% of this has been highway driving where gasoline engine needs to provide almost all energy to keep the car moving.

With full battery (with capacity of about 12kWh) I can get some 30-40 km out of the car, which easily covers most or even all of my daily driving, bringing gasoline consumption when near home to around 1 liter/100km or so, or even full round zero when cabin heating isn't needed.

This isn't typical highway/city driving ratio for me, however, it just happened that there's been a lot of travelling lately. Typically the ratio is closer to 50:50, which, with figures listed above, would drop average consumption to maybe around 3,5 l/100km range.

So, if you only even drive short trips, PHEV is great. But if all your driving is long road trips, this technology isn't for you, not yet at least.

Also, it is really cool to drift around majestically in almost complete silence. Loud engines (and/or exhausts) are nothing but childish, I want my car quiet! Although wheel noise is something that really can't be fully removed.

It isn't all wonderful though. Like I said, full battery charge can take care of my daily driving, but there's always the next day. Meaning that the car needs to be plugged in for recharge almost every single day. And the charging isn't quick either - from standard 10A 230v mains socket (so about 2,3kW supply) the full charge time is around 5 and half hours. I'm looking for dedicated charge station that could provide around 10kW, but that will cost some extra to install. At least I've got a home where such addition - and even ability to charge the car at all - is possible - I fully realize not everyone has this possibility available.

Already I'm thinking of replacing our other car with fully electric one, but at the moment there really aren't any suitable models available. Lack of large enough trunk for all the stuff - and dogs - makes every single one of current options useless for me. Too bad, guess I have to wait a bit more yet for that...




Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti