sunnuntai 29. huhtikuuta 2018

Suit up!


Before I start, I know that many people will not like what I say here. That's perfectly okay. This is how I think, you're free to have your thought on this issue too.

So, It seems that vast majority of engineers do not like suits. Many seem to even passionately hate them, in fact, to the degree that "not even owning a suit" seems to be mark of honor.

I don't wear suits either - not very often. Not even collared shirts and slacks. I prefer T-shirts and jeans most of the time - that is, when I expect to work in the office all day, without any face-to-face customer contact.

But not always. When it is time to dress properly, I prefer to go all-in.

I was once told that when in public event one should always be dressed better (as in, better by one "step") than your customers. Like I said, this isn't everyday, but at least in more formal occasions, like trade fairs and so on. And of course, when I go to meet a client specifically, I do dress a bit more formally than usually. What this means, exactly, varies by occasion.

Some times this means that I wear a suit. And other times it may mean jeans and T-shirt. And sometimes it's something in between - like slacks and collared shirt. But the choice is always case by case.

Like I already said, many engineers absolutely hate suits. I did, too, at one time, but no more. I discovered the joys of tailored (or at least custom made) suits.

If you just go and buy a suit, without bothering to have it fitted for your body, you will end up with expensive disappointment. It will look bad (just look at the current clown at white house...), and worse, it will feel bad (some clowns have no self respect at all, it seems.)  Just don't. Because if you do get that off-the-rack suit, you will hate suits forever.

Instead, for your first real suit I suggest that you go to see a tailor, or at least a shop that will serve you personally and will have the suit you want to be fitted for you. Yes, it will cost a bit more, but trust me on this - you do want the suit to feel and look good on you - and that is where fitting it on you comes in. And it won't cost you that much more, either.

I by no means claim to be expert here, but I dare to say that there are three (or four) classes of suits;

1) Professionally tailored.
2) Custom order
3) Off the shelf

Fourth class might be between 2) and 3) ; off-the-shelf fitted. This "2.5" is the minimum you should strive to. Pick a suit that is close to your body (and you will need professional help here, especially if you haven't bought a suit before) and have it fitted to you.

If your body isn't of a common type (that is, no suit in stores are even close), you may need to go to class 2 immediately. You send your measurements to a tailor, who will order a suit from factory and have it fitted for you. A bit more expensive than option 3) or 2.5), but absolutely worth the cost.

Class 1 is the high end. Here, too, are many options. The most expensive might be to go to, say, Paris or Rome and pick one of the very best names in business. You will of course get the best, but you will also pay for it. Not really worth it unless you need to mingle with the Very Rich all the time.

If I want to get a suit tailored, I would have to go to Helsinki - that is the nearest tailor from here, 600km away. Not a cheap option, but in dire need (say, when going to close a deal of €50k+ or so), I'd definitely consider it.

Second best option is custom order. I take my measurements (or have them taken, for example by my wife), send them to tailor (again, nearest being in Helsinki, as far as I know) and have them to send suit for me. At this point, I'd rather not do this - if something is measured wrong, it will cost me a lot, since wrong measurement will look and feel bad. Not good.

Some shops do offer service where they take your measurements, order factory-made suit and have it fitted for your measurements too. I'd suggest this if in doubt, but if nearest shop is far away, this might be a bit tricky. Unless you're willing to go there for the first measurements, and then order new suits (pants/shirts/jackets/whatever) from them remotely. Not a bad idea, actually.

There is a lower cost option also (kinda-sorta).

If you happen to be in suitable place in South East Asia region, such as Bangkok, Hanoi or other - well, I might as well say it straight: tourist - cities that draw many western people in them - you may find a tailor shop in almost every block.
There a fully tailored suit with a shirt or two can bought for some €200-€500, depending on location and materials. Mind you, you do need to "shop around" first, preferably by browsing customer opinions in the net. You do want at least to beat the store-bought quality, right?

But which ever is the way you pick, as long as you go for a quality suit, it will fit you nicely and feel good on you, you know that the choice was a good one.

Don't be afraid to wear a good suit. Be afraid to wear a bad one.



Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti