keskiviikko 24. tammikuuta 2018

Write it again, Tony.


Has Windows ever crashed on you when working? Oh, don't bother lying, we both know damn well it has. Numerous times. Less, lately, but still. There is a reason I mostly kept away from Windows 3 and 9x series, and only started taking it more seriously when Windows 2000 hit the market.

But has it crashed on you so bad it wiped out your project too? Well, Windows 10, with its newest feature update installed just did that to me.

I was playing around with new features of C++Builder 10.2, trying to figure out how to write an program that runs on Windows and Phones.Well, on Android, at least.

And then suddenly Windows froze completely. This isn't anything new (to me), so after few seconds of waiting - if it just were nice enough to come around by itself (don't look at me like that, it has happened. Not often, but few times...) - I just killed power and started over. (well, I tried common three-finger salutes first, of course, with no effect)

Only to find that just about all of the files I had open when Windows froze were ... corrupted. Half a dozen project files, gone. Thanks, Windows, great service.

Not a major loss, this being mostly things I was playing with, figuring out how they work together, but nevertheless, writing it all over again would be annoying at best. Granted, this doesn't happen too often, not these days, but whenever it happens, it's still a real PITA.

Oh, as I found out just few moments later, Builder keeps backups. So loss wasn't as bad as I expected first, just latest few dozen lines or so, but it's still always annoying to re-write everything.

And to be fair, Windows doesn't crash even close as often as it used to, these days.


Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti