torstai 9. marraskuuta 2017

This is supposed to be a server?


Annoyed ranting ahead. I've been incredibly busy lately and will be for some time still, so I guess there'll be no exciting posts coming anytime soon.

I just bought a new server to our office. This is essentially backup machine, in case main system lets the operating smoke out, with planned use for other, less important purposes like staging/testing and whatnot in the mean time.

Since this is supposed to be server, it will eventually be headless, accessible via SSH key login only. Before that, however, I do need monitor of OS installation and so on.

But here I hit a problem: Some un-friggin-believeable idiot has decided to equip this server with no other display connections than two Displayport 1.2  connectors. Which cannot even be converted to more useful signals - like, oh, HDMI - without nothing less than active converters (so no, DP-HDMI cable won't just work. I tried.)

And really, two displayports? What is this machine supposed to be, some movie prop with separate huge monitors scrolling text logs for anyone to see?

Guess what: I don't have even one display that has displayport here anywhere. And by quick review, displays that have DP aren't exactly the cheapest ones there are. I don't like the idea of having to get a new display just for this, but damn it if I just have to... Or maybe I'll have to get a converter. We'll see...



Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti