lauantai 27. toukokuuta 2017

Games.


Back in late 80s I managed to get my hands on a first computer, this being Sinclair Spectrum. Not greatest machine around, but for me it was awesome machine - despite other devices likes Commodore 64 or upcoming Amiga 500 being so much superior technically. I was way too young to really learn programming then, so it was mostly experimenting. And I loved games. I wanted to make games. But without knowledge, that didn't happen.

Next I got a PC. Actually my dad got one, for his work, a PC AT, a 8086 (way back when that actually meant specific thing!) with single-color display, and I was allowed to play with it. As he tells it, when I called him and asked him "how do I load the shuttle to this autocad?", he knew that I'd be okay with computers. This was, after all, when user interface meant DOS and command like, yet I had managed to start the program myself...

And after that hardware upgrade after upgrade. Every step on the way games got better and I'd love to make them. Did make some, too, although they weren't really popular.

Later on I went to work as a software developer so much of the interest kinda withered away. As far as I've understood it's quite usual - you don't really want to do same things as hobby you do for work. But the yearning never died out, it just got kinda supressed.

Even now I still like to play with game ideas. One part own engine, with OpenGL (screw directX and its platform lock-in), one part Unreal engine, one part Cryengine (because go underdog!), part GoDot (because open source) ... These ideas never get very far, mostly because time shortage, because games these days take a lot of effort, but it's still a fond dream of mine to someday get something really finished.

I still got a head full of ideas. I've got this one, kinda based on this one Valerian comic I read long time ago. Not that specific story or characters or even universe, really, just idea loosely based on the very general idea or surroundings in that comic, and I'd love to make into full single-player RPG (with capital R, very unlike latest Fallout excuse-of-a-RPG). But it takes lots of programming - and more importantly, lots of graphics and audio, neither of which I don't really have any talent - nor time - for.

But I still can dream...


Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti