perjantai 25. tammikuuta 2019

PHEV Winter update part 2


Some time ago I quickly mentioned about hybrid Outlander's winter performance. After some more cold weather it's time to make an update. It's been hovering near -30 C for some time now so I think we got nice impression on what to expect. And it's not pretty.

So, like I mentioned, when it got colder, fuel usage went up. Way up. The mask previously mentioned helped a bit, but still nowhere expected figures.

At this point the temperature performance looks like this;

Down to -10 C: Fully electric mode available, with severely reduced range (about 20 km). Heating works too, with electric heaters (I think). Car works fine if not in EV mode, but fuel usage is increased.

Down to -20 C: Electric mode no longer available, and car mainly moves with gasoline. Drive battery isn't used much. Fuel consumption up to previously mentioned 8l/100km figure, possibly due to keeping engine warm at all times.

Below -20 C: Drive battery isn't used at all, it's almost like it weren't there. Fuel consumption way up, around 10l/100km figure.

Below -30 C: Not yet experience this, but I hope it still starts. Come to think of it, it's been several winters now since we really had temperatures below -30 C around here, and I don't even remember when it was down to -40 last time.

So this hybrid tech isn't that great in cold weather. Not that surprising, really, although I have to admit I secretly hoped a bit better performance. Fortunately however "really cold" weather is limited usually to just few weeks in a year, and "cold" to several months, so most of the time I get to enjoy the benefits of (limited) electric drive.


Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti