maanantai 9. maaliskuuta 2015

Another capacitor failure


Our DSL modem died on one night. While waiting for operator's phone support I had enough time to ponder the failure reason and even then I suspected capacitors. Well, operator sent new one with (almost) no questions asked and didn't even want old one back so you know what happened next: autopsy.

As expected, after opening device I was instantly greeted by several bulging capacitors. No wonder it's dead.

I was thinking of doing some scope captures of voltages on the device, just to show what happens with dead cap, but its power module (random "no-name" brand, rated 2A @ 12v DC, at least claiming to have all the proper safety inspections done) appears to be dead too - it's output it essentially AC at tens of volts. Bummer, because I could think of several uses for such power adapter if it worked.

Now, did the power module fail first, killing the cap in process, or other way around?If it were just the first filter cap that had failed I'd suspect the power module, but in this case caps are all around the board so I think that the model failed first, eventually damaging power module too.

Either way, to trash bin they go.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti