sunnuntai 22. kesäkuuta 2014

Paperclip to the rescue!


Somewhat offtopic, but ain't I feeling like regular MacGyver now.

I just took a vacation. With small children this means lots of props, including the stroller (or cart, whichever term you prefer). Strollers, of course, are large, heavy, unwieldy and in general a PITA when flying.

Just when I stepped outside the terminal at the destination with my luggage on other hand and stroller on other the strap of the stroller bag broke. So here I am, in 28 degree Centigrade heat, in middle of thousands of other busy people, just in front of terminal doors, with now even more PITA-ish stroller on ground. Damn.

One thing I never travel without is some sturdy string (I'll get to some other necessities a bit later). I was almost opening my luggage to dig for it when I noted a large-ish paperclip on the ground, in exact same position the stroller broke on. At least some luck!

So, just few bends and moments later the bag was almost good as new.


This wasn't the first time traveling with that stroller, so it had taken some beating already. When packing stroller for return trip I noticed that zipper was broken too - the metal part that moves (no idea what that is called) was completely gone. No idea when that had happened, but it was useless. So moving on to necessity number two when traveling : duck tape (or duct tape, again whichever term you prefer, personally I call it "jesari" ("jesus tape"). End result was not pretty but at least it kept stroller and all its parts (wheels primarily) together during return flight.


While duck tape may seem like something you almost never need, it's this kind of situations where it's priceless to have. Just like that string, Leatherman, small flashlight, some spare large plastic bags and now my newest addition to traveling list: paperclips (or some metal wire, but I think I prefer paperclips). (my complete luggage checklist has grown over the years and is now almost 50 items long. Lot of that is stuff that is only needed in some regions and it has also includes passports, tickets, money, clothing, toiletries and so on, so mostly to remind me when packing)

Even more off topic, but it's too bad I didn't take photo of my luggage case some years ago after returning from Berlin - it was so completely destroyed that I was amazed. I still have no idea how they even managed to beat it that badly, it looked like someone had hit it with a large hammer. Repeatedly. Finnair replaced it, (almost) no questions asked, but like with insurance, doing paperwork, dealing with customer service, getting replacements and so on - it all is always such a  hassle.

Oh, and one more thing: No matter where you travel, always - always - have your hotel's business card with you. This I learned in Cambodia when trying to communicate address to toothless, cossack-looking taxi driver late at night. In the end I had to give him directions (with hand gestures) through Phnom Penh (luckily the route was easy), but at least I didn't have to walk.


Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti