sunnuntai 6. huhtikuuta 2014

TV antenna amplifier


Lots of broken stuff on my hands lately. This time I had some issues with TV reception at our summer home. As in "no signal at all". The cottage is pretty far from transmit station so there is an signal amplifier at the mast, which is powered by feeder unit from inside the cottage.

So, after the usual checks ("plugged in?" "socket works?" "antenna cable okay?" etc) I opened the unit. The problem was apparent quite quickly; two of the transformer's solder joints were both broken. Easy enough fix, but unfortunately I didn't have soldering iron with me, so I had to bring to back. Now joints are fixed (and transformer is glued down to lessen mechanical stress), but whether this helps remains to be seen - unit is now waiting on my desk to be taken back there.


Sorry about the shallow DoF, but there isn't that much interesting stuff going on at the back of the board anyway. The F connector furthest back is "in" connector (so it feeds DC voltage to antenna cable), other two are "out" connectors (to TV and whatnot). There just some capacitors and zero-ohm resistors to pass signal and DC power around.

Closer you can see the transformer pins and next to it simple DC rectifier. Power isn't very smooth, 15v +/- 1v approximately, but it shouldn't matter for a simple amp. And yes, probing the thing while powered made me very uneasy. Those so innocent-looking joints could deliver major pain if I happened to be a bit careless... In the end I covered them with masking tape before doing further measurements. Still not very safe but I got measurements I needed. This definitely is in category of don't try this at home!

Top view below. Nothing but transformer (15v AC out), single smoothing capacitor and metal can.

You can actually see under the can from the openings. There's practically nothing in there - a few jumper wires and inductors, and they only carry the DC voltage. All the actual signal traces are at the bottom of the board, completely unshielded. A bit of "WTF?" if you ask me.

There is a lot of unpopulated places on the board too. I'm guessing that this same board could be used as an standalone amplifier as well, in which case the amplifier circuits would be in currently unpopulated places on board. In that case the metal can would make sense.

So there. Hope this fixes the problem, as the amplifier itself is about 8 metres up from ground (and 3 metres up from the highest roof level), I don't really have any desire to climb there...



1 kommentti:

  1. TV antenna amplifier. Lots of broken stuff on my hands lately. This time I had some issues with TV reception at our summer home. As in "no ... atnamplifier.blogspot.com

    VastaaPoista